Re: DMARC - gmail.com or is it yahoo.com

On 2016.11.29 09:24, cyg Simple wrote:
I find this excerpt from cygwin-help a bit confusing.  Notice the
"yahoo.com" in the "Remote host said:" message. What's really going on here? Why is yahoo.com doing the authentication for a gmail.com address?

<excerpt>
Date: 17 Nov 2016 10:26:04 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: cygwin-return-205832-@cygwin.com
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.

<cygsimple@gmail.com>:
User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
<cygsimple@gmail.com> 173.194.202.27 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not
accepted due to domain's
550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of yahoo.com
domain if
550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the
550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. e69si30940847pfk.231 - gsmtp
</excerpt>

--
cyg Simple
I haven't looked at the details of this particular error, but are you using an alias'd address? For example, my return address here is @users.sourceforge.net. However, they only resend mail to that address to my real address @frontier.com. I have validated to frontier.com that I really do own the address @sourcegforge.net. So I send through the frontier server with a From: address of sourceforge.

In my case, with a KDE mailing list, when KDE gets a message, they ask the domain of the message (sourceforge) about their policy. Recently, they upped the level, and so told KDE to reject any mail appearing to be from sourceforge if it didn't actually come from their. Thus I got lots of this type of error. Someone finally convinced sourceforge that didn't make sense, since one of their offerings is aliased email addresses, which were then all bouncing.

So, your From: is gmail. Are you actually sending through a gmail server, or through a yahoo server? (Note yahoo servers handle all sorts of other domains, not lease most of the domains used by AT&T as an ISP.)

Jack