Re: Setup not asking for proxy user,password / was Resend: pdfseparate does nothing for me?

On 2016-12-01 10:10, Ian Lambert wrote:
> On Thu, 11/17/16, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>  Ian Lambert writes:
>> Explorer is using a proxy configuration script, defined by others.
> Looking back at your older posts it seems your proxy requires a
> password. I have no idea how the configuration script sets up things
> for you, but apparently it bypasses the registry settings that it
> would normally use.
>> Setup is being run with --no-admin. -p has been tried, but there is
>> no option for user/passwd.
> Setup.exe supposedly should ask for that information via a dialog
> box when the proxy indicates it needs it, but it seems that your
> proxy just doesn't return the required 407 response header. If you
> could figure out (via wget most likely) what the communication with
> your proxy looks like (with and without password) that might lead to
> somewhere.
> I finally observed wget fail because of authentication, then work
> when given user, password.
> Screen output is below.
> Subsequent wgets work without giving password, so there is some
> caching of authentication, apparently, at least for wget (and
> apt-cyg).
> Setup is not as lucky, is unable to get setup.ini, and never asks for
> user, password.
> It also only lists the download site I last used.

You can change the web site using apt-cyg mirror <uri>
or edit /etc/setup/setup.rc /last-mirror/+1 directly.

> myuser@mypc ~/junk/cygwin
> $ wget https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
> --2016-12-01 10:52:10--  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
> Resolving superproxy.our.wonder.place
> (superproxy.our.wonder.place)... an.ip.address.here
> Connecting to superproxy.our.wonder.place
> (superproxy.our.wonder.place)|an.ip.address.here|:port... connected.
> Proxy tunneling failed: Proxy Authentication RequiredUnable to
> establish SSL connection.
> myuser@mypc ~/junk/cygwin
> $ wget --user=myuser --password=mypasswd
> https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
> --2016-12-01 10:53:22--  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
> Resolving superproxy.our.wonder.place
> (superproxy.our.wonder.place)... an.ip.address.here
> Connecting to superproxy.our.wonder.place
> (superproxy.our.wonder.place)|an.ip.address.here|:port... connected.
> Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 910336 (889K) [application/octet-stream]
> Saving to: ‘setup-x86_64.exe’
> setup-x86_64.exe 100%
> 889.00K 719KB/s in 1.2s
> 2016-12-01 10:53:24 (719 KB/s) - ‘setup-x86_64.exe’ saved
> [910336/910336]

curl -v sometimes shows when server status codes are returned instead
of web pages, allowing you to add options to proceed further, step by
step.
wget -d can also provide more useful information.
Packet analyzers like wireshark etc. can let you see what programs
like setup are doing (wrong), when compared to wget working correctly.