Re: Cygwin Stuck in Installation

On 2017-01-16 20:05, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 1/16/2017 9:31 PM, Alvin wrote:
>> I am getting stuck at the perpertual/0.
>> Every postinstall files out there will hang for like 20mins before
>> proceeding to the next file.
>> Eventually when it its done, When i click on the cygwin 64 bit
>> terminal. The bash console just hang there with the cursor and it
>> is like not proceeding.when i tried to close the terminal itb
>> wasn't responding.
>> 1. I have tried deleting the registry and deleting all cygwin
>> related files and reinstall again. However still facing the same
>> issue.
>> 2. Go to detail to kill bash or dash where ever it hang however
>> got prompt with error message that it wasn't responding
>> Further more this is a fresh installation on an entirely new
>> computer.
>> Even after I manage to install successfully. The bash Cygwin 64
>> terminal just hangs on my Windows 10 terminal.
> I wonder how many packages you're trying to install.  How about starting
> with a really small set and seeing if this has something to do with (a)
> the number of packages (total size) or (b) some particular package(s)?
> You're not giving us much to go on in your report, so I suspect you
> may get only somewhat generic advice ...

Go minimal initially.
Wipe out your Cygwin root dir and everything below it.
Run Setup for ALL users, with no package selection, so only the Base
category gets installed.
Run the cygwin.bat file in your Cygwin root dir.
If that succeeds, rerun Setup to add some more packages.
Report any failures, with CygwinRoot/var/log/setup.log.full and
cygcheck -svr redirected output attached.
Cygcheck is actually a Windows console app in the CygwinRoot/bin/ dir,
so does not depend on Cygwin, only Setup (a Windows GUI app) for
installation.