This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: mintty fails to start
- From: Thomas Wolff <towo at towo dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 22:02:56 +0100
- Subject: Re: mintty fails to start
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Am 19.01.2017 um 16:25 schrieb Emember MemberUS via cygwin:
One interesting test case may be to remove the x bit from the empty bash
file, to see that mintty handles invocation errors properly.
The issue is that invocation of an empty file (provided that the x bit
is set) is not considered an error in a Linux environment, and thus on
cygwin, so the exec system call does not report an error in the first place.
Suggestion: produce an error message that would help identifying this problem when mintty starts.
NOTE: this issue happens only in cygwin, and only when both files are present: /bin/bash.exe and empty /bin/bash.
If no bash is present, mintty issues a correct error message.
There is nothing that can be done about it, the behaviour is correct.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple