This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: dirent.d_type is not working on Cygwin symbolic links.
- From: Christian Franke <Christian dot Franke at t-online dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 12:15:00 +0100
- Subject: Re: dirent.d_type is not working on Cygwin symbolic links.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The dirent.d_type value for Cygwin symbolic links is 0 (DT_UNKNOWN).
The value is 10 (DT_LNK) for Windows native symbolic links. I think
d_type should be 10 for Cygwin symbolic links too.
The actual type should only be returned in dirent.d_type if the info is
available at very low cost. This is not the case for Cygwin symbolic links.
If DT_UNKNOWN is returned, lstat() must be called if type info is required.
Quote from Linux man page readdir(3):
"All applications must properly handle a return of DT_UNKNOWN."
See also thread starting at:
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple