Cygwin/X failing to launch applications

I installed Cygwin/X following the directions on https://x.cygwin.com/
and the linked howto.

The install seems to have gone fine with no errors popping up.

However there seems to be a problem starting X properly. When I use
'startxwin' the icon appears in the system tray, but nothing seems
capable of launching.

The .xsession-error log shows fork commands failing like so:

Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-ahrens/fam-
802216072 [unknown (0x2A24)] xwin-xdg-menu 11160 fork: child -1 -
forked process 6804 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xE0C00D5C,
errno 11
fork() to run command failed

I found a few references suggesting rebasing may help, so I followed
http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall a couple of times (making sure
to run the no-package setup), even rebooting between just to be sure,
but it still happens.

Searching for that exit code only found one hit (not in cygwin) but no answer.

To see if it was something with multiwindow mode, I tried running with
just an xterm and a root window
https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting-startx
startx /usr/bin/xterm

The root window looked to pop up, then disappeared a second later

All my installed Cygwin packages are up to date. My Windows version
reports itself as Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

Just looking for guidance on what else to try. X and related
applications seem to be the only things suffering from this, I can run
all CLI tools fine from the terminal.