Re: Stuck with incomplete Cygwin installation

On 09/02/2017 08:44, Daniel Friedman wrote:
Quick summary: I'm stuck being unable to achieve a working Cygwin
installation on a machine that formerly had one.

attempts always yield errors of the following kind (the numbers, other
than "errno 11", vary):
--- begin typical error message ---
1152878 [main] sh 304 fork: child 27120 - died waiting for dll loading, errno 11
./base-files-mketc.sh: fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
--- end typical error message ---

this does not look a fork issue due to rebase (colliding address)
it looks BLODA interference.
Specially if you try to install only base category the
collision risk is almost nothing

Additionally, running setup after attempting to run these scripts
manually causes not only the scripts to again fail when invoked by
setup.exe, but the 0p_000_autorebase.dash script also fails, with exit
code 2.

as before...

* Re-downloaded the setup program.

Some more details:
* Windows 10 machine
* Cygwin setup.exe version 2.877 (64 bit)
* I've attached /var/log/setup.log.full from my most recent
installation attempt, in case it might help.
* I have extensive but somewhat limited administrator rights on this
Windows machine; in particular, I can't suspend or disable the
anti-virus software. However, I've never before had a related problem
with Cygwin--not on this machine I've had since August 2016, and not
on any other machine with same limited admin rights I've had over the
past 7+ years. This all strongly suggests to me (IMHO) the anti-virus
software, and my limited admin rights, are not interfering with the
Cygwin installation.

unfortunately Antiviruses evolve and not always for the better.
On my side Symantec has worsened a lot in the last months, while be
reasonable for years.

It could also be some other applications like device drivers or
security communication packages.

Anything in this list or similar
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

that you have around ?
Bank security packages are the latest trendy BLODA's.

After hours of searching the web and attempting multiple
reinstallations, I'm sorry to lean on the community for help, but I'm
really at wits end. I'm willing to try new ideas, and appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks very much in advance,
--Daniel

I do not know if works on W10, it worked on my W7 64 bit,
but you can try with "msconfig.exe" to reboot  in "Safe boot"
with "Network" and just install base category.
This should disable almost every services including the AV

If installation works than you know that a BLODA is around,
but catching it will take a bit more.

Regards
Marco