Re: cygpath -w converts relative paths to absolute windows paths

Am 12.02.2017 um 12:23 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Feb  7 14:35, Roger Qiu wrote:
Hi,

I've found that `cygpath --windows '../` will give back an absolute windows
path.

I thought this would only happen if you provide the `--absolute` flag, or
when the path is a special cygwin path.

But this occurs just for normal directories.

I have come across a situation where I need to convert ntfs symlinks to unix
symlinks and back. Sometimes these symlinks have relative paths them. Now by
using cygpath --windows, I get back absolute paths, which means the
integrity of the symlink isn't preserved.

Can `cygpath --windows '../directory'` give back `..\directory` for paths
aren't special cygwin paths? These relative backslashes are supported in
Windows right now.
Not easily.  All paths are evaluated as absolute paths inside Cygwin.
The result of the path conversion is always an absolute path. A relative
path is generated from there by checking if the path prefix in POSIX
notation is identical to the current working directory.  If not, the
path stays absolute.  Naturally, if you use a "..", the resulting path
does not match the CWD anymore, so you're out.
How about converting getcwd(), too, and comparing that?
------
Thomas