Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: dash-0.5.9.1-1

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Steven Penny  wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:46:08, cyg Simple wrote:
>>
>> If *your* script has a dependency to run using *dash* instead of *sh*
>> then you _must_ use #!/bin/dash anyway.
>

> I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Dash is. Dash is a
> minimal shell, similar to the "sh" defined by POSIX:
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sh.html
>
> So saying "a dependency to run using *dash*" makes about as much sense as
> saying
> "Cygwin has a dependency to run using Cygwin".

Nice strawman argument.
You seem to assume that Dash implements nothing beyond POSIX (and
hence anything that runs on dash must run on every other shell). This
is not the case.

>From the dash man page:

dash is the standard command interpreter for the Linux system. The
current version of dash is in the process of being changed to conform
with the POSIX 1003.2 and 1003.2a specifications for the shell. This
version has many features which make it appear similar in some
respects to the Korn shell, but it is not a Korn shell clone. Only
features designated by POSIX, plus a few Berkeley extensions, are
being incorporated into this shell.

Csaba