This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: dash-0.5.9.1-1
- From: "Matt Seitz (matseitz)" <matseitz at cisco dot com>
- To: Steven Penny <svnpenn at gmail dot com>, "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 23:56:56 +0000
- Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: dash-0.5.9.1-1
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Personally, I would invoke a variation of Linus's attitude to breaking user space apps: the distribution should not break existing user's scripts, even if they are not following "the rules".
If you want to speed up the scripts distributed by Cygwin, then I would suggest modifying those scripts to use #!/bin/dash. Or give the user an option to change "/bin/sh" to point to dash, but don't make that the default setting.
But breaking who-knows-how-many user scripts without the user's informed consent seems like an undesirable solution.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple