Re: Strange errors running gcc tests on Cygwin

On 03/15/2017 02:36 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
Do the local rebase on your build targets as detailed in my question
to Achim and his response. Rerun after any system change or build.

Alright, I think I've got it now, thank you. I'll experiment with it first and then I'm guessing that this might eventually belong in libtool or some such, although I'm guessing that that wouldn't work unless we could have two databases, the system database and a temporary build database. I'm not yet sure what the correct solution should be.

I would very much like to be able to come up with an automated
process that can be run on a server somewhere under a VM using an
LVM read/write snapshot, so that the environment can be easily reset
to a pristine state (i.e., freshly installed Windows & Cygwin) with
minimal I/O. If I can solve this problem and the "broken pipe" issue
then we might be getting close!
Have you checked the Cygwin BLODA list, uninstalled everything you can,
disabled all services you're not using, and stopped packages from
putting "accelerators" in the systray?

Thank you for the BLODA list. There are currently no programs listed in the uninstall.

There are some good web pages
on disabling services useless to you but not MS ;^> I did this before
and after W10 upgrades and life is quieter and more productive. YMMV

The first thing I've done when installing Windows in the past is to have the network cable unplugged and disable every service that I think I don't need because experience has taught me not to trust Windows. Occasionally, I've had to re-enable services that it turned out I did need. Are there any pretty list of "stupid windows services" out there that you recommend? Also, I'm not doing any windows/lanman networking, so I disable computer browser and the like.

I'm also building the current cygwin1.dll from git as I've seen a few messages about bugs being fixed that could be related.

Daniel