Re: How to get GNU Parallel working with Cygwin

Matt D. writes:
> I noticed today that we don't have this package.

"We" don't have this package because it can't work correctly on Cygwin
in certain circumstances (see below) and upstream didn't want to change
the way semaphores work to accomodate this situation.

> I tried building it
> from source with a './configure && make && make install'.
>
> But when I run "sem" I get the following output:
>
> 1 [main] perl 7712 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by
> 'Util.dll' (0x1E0000) is already occupied
> 1 [main] perl 13596 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by
> 'Util.dll' (0x1E0000) is already occupied
> 1 [main] perl 13920 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by
> 'Util.dll' (0x1E0000) is already occupied
>
> I don't have any issue running perl directly.

That's most likely List::Util colliding with some other DLL or getting
intercepted by BLODA.

> The package in question:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/

You'll either need to rebase all XS modules it installed manually or
install them from setup.exe before installing parallel.  Note that
parallel can't work correctly when your home is on a file system with
ustable inodes and thus can't refcount hardlinks.

Regards,
Achim.