how to make sshd start a shell other than bash when I log in?

My regular shell is fish. To make local terminals run fish instead of bash when
I start them, I set

SHELL=/usr/bin/fish

in my desktop environment. This works fine: I start MinTTY, and fish starts.

But when I log into that same host by sshd, bash starts, not fish (since sshd
doesn't have access to my desktop environment variables). How can I configure
either my ssh client or the ssh server to start fish instead of bash?

On a Linux host, sshd will start the user's default shell, as recorded in
/etc/passwd and set by chsh. But in Cygwin we don't have those.

On the client I know I could run e.g.

ssh host /usr/bin/fish --login

but I don't want to have to do that every time, and there doesn't seem to be a
way to set it in ssh_config.

Thanks,
Andrew