can't break out of perl script during execute()

I have a perl script that reads a (large) log file, searches for records
matching a certain pattern, and execute()s a binary passing in to it data
from the matched log record. Works great, except that I can't CTRL-C to
break out when the perl script is executing the binary, which is where it
is most of the time, so it's hard to catch it between calls to execute().
I built the binary with Cygwin's gcc. Wondering if this is a Cygwin issue
and if there's a known workaround.

$ uname -svr
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 2.8.0(0.309/5/3) 2017-04-01 20:47
$ perl --version

This is perl 5, version 22, subversion 3 (v5.22.3) built for cygwin-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2017, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 5.4.0

$