Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New: cygextreg-1.2.0-1

On 5.5.2017 14.17, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Joni Eskelinen!
>
>> The following package has been added to the Cygwin distribution:
>
>> * cygextreg-1.2.0-1
>

>> Scripts are executed with bash
>
> This must not be the case, unless explicitly requested. Enough that
> all Windows associations are executed with cmd if you try to
> CreateProcess blindly. Don't copy this mistake.

Bash is used as an intermediary shell that executes the script.
Generally a shebang line denotes the actual interpreter.

Bash was chosen because it's bundled with a default Cygwin installation.

> If you want to make it useful, write a thin wrapper over exec() that
> finds out and runs proper interpreter, and support it with options to
> make interpreters happy. F.e. convert $0 to Cygwin path, if
> interpreter don't understand native paths (i.e. dash cringe over
> non-latin1 native paths and I yet to find out why).

All native paths are converted to Cygwin equivalents before invoking
bash, ie. $0 as in the path of the file that was clicked from Windows,
and consecutive arguments if some files were dragged and dropped to
registered file icon.
That is, the script shall always receive only Posix style paths, by design.

>> in an interactive login shell.
>
> This should be optional. Login shell may cause $(pwd) to change, not
> to mention, it alters environment.
>
>> If the executed script exits with a non-zero code, MinTTY window
>
> This should be optional.
>
>> shall be kept open
>
> This should be optional.

Nice suggestions. I've thought to implement per extension options
especially for keeping the window open after completion.

Script is actually invoked roughly as follows:
/bin/bash -il -c 'cd <directory> && ./<filename>'
with proper escaping applied. So even though user's personal init script
changes the working directory, the script will be invoked in its
containing directory.
I think it's a reasonable default to have bash run this way, since
there's a fair chance that scripts require environmental variables set
in .bashrc or like (eg. $PATH to ruby gems).

- Joni