Re: setting TZ is harmful

On 2017-05-09 08:09, Gluszczak, Glenn wrote:
> Ran into issues with TZ in the past too. ActiveState Perl is picky.
> I use the PST8PDT format for TZ, but could be other Window programs
> that won't accept that.

Default rules used for that format in tzcode are those for pre-2007
North America, until changes coming in the next tzcode release are
incorporated into downstream libraries, when rules will default to
post-2007 North America.
Many libraries, including Cygwin, use their own implementations of
some tzcode functions, so may use different rules, or not pick up
code updates until years later.
Better to set up an /etc/localtime symlink to zoneinfo/.../... for
Cygwin and let Windows programs do their own thing, which may be
neither currently nor historically correct.