ANSI colors not showing by default

Lately I noticed that colors are not showing by default in some situations.
The most apparent case is when running composer.

The latest composer version on "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" console,
and even when running it via a mintty shell looks just fine. But from
cygwin the output is monochrome.

Attached is cygcheck.out.

I would love to understand what's going on.
I tried the following:
- Change the TERM var to several values
- Renamed my home-dir and dropped into a shell in order to get a clean
new home-dir.
- Installed cygwin from scratch

Any help would be appreciated.