Re: Request to the git maintainer

On 10.07.2017 14:02, Eliot Moss wrote:
On 7/10/2017 4:24 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Eliot Moss writes:
Dear maintainer of git ....

I use CrashPlan as my backup engine.  It has difficulty backing up
files with no "other" access.  Many git locale (.mo) and doc-related
files have permissions 600 (directories 700).  Is there a good reason
for this?  I would think that 644 and 755 access would be fine for
these files, and it would prevent the problems I see with CrashPlan.

That's an upstream build system bug.  Some of the installation scripts
use cp instead of install and that in turn makes them dependent on umask
(which doesn't get set aywhere I can easily find).  I guess Adam could
work around that by setting 'umask 022' in the cygport file, but it
really should be fixed in git.git.

I looked upstream, and at least some of the files I am concerned about
are installed using "tar" piped to another "tar", with umask 022 set
explicitly.  I think the problem is that the source of this copying
has 600 or 700 permissions.  Not sure if *that* is an upstream problem
or not ...

I would say, get a backup system that handles whatever bits you have
on your disk, or find out how to configure the existing one.

If there are some permission problems, maybe it needs more privilege
to do its job.

You can't ask every vendor of everything that you have installed
or "git pulled" to fix their permissions because your backup program
has bizarre limitations.