Re: System crontab with username containing a space

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Gene Pavlovsky
<gene.pavlovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks :)
>
> Due to circumstances beyond my control, I've got a user account on a
> remote PC which contains a space in the username, i.e. "Test
> Computer".
> I've set up Cygwin and cron, and am having problems with the system crontab.
> I can't figure out how to put the username in there, I've tried it as
> is, with \ escaping the space, enclosing in double quotes. The jobs
> just don't get executed. There is no error message in cronevents. The
> jobs are implementation of cron.hourly, cron.daily etc. - I really
> don't want to put them in user's crontab which would contain more
> personal stuff.
>
> Does cron support spaces in username in the system crontab? If so, how
> to escape them?

I ran into a similar issue where I had a space in a mount, and I had
to use some form of octal/hex encoding, but I no longer remember the
exact details...

I will try to reproduce this and see what I can find.

-- Erik

--
"I do not think any of us are truly sane, Caleb. Not even you. Courage
is not sanity. Being willing to die for someone else is not sanity."

-- Alexandria Terri in "Weaving the Wyvern" by Alexis Desiree Thorne