Re: setup graphical chooser : how to list orphaned packages ?

On 10/13/2017 3:49 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
On 2017-10-13 13:37, Achim Gratz wrote:
Jérôme Bouat writes:
Are "orphans" and "obsolete" 2 different things ?

Yes.  An orphaned package is one that is installed on your system, but
not available in any version from setup.  An obsolete package is one
that still exists (usually as an empty package) both in setup and on
your system in order to provide a dependency (usually for older packages
that still refer to the obsolete package name until they can get
rebuilt).

Obsolete packages are also provided in setup like "virtual" packages for
backward compatibility with old package names requiring the new package.

I recently removed some of these old obsolete packages as I was using the
upgraded packages.

The next time I ran setup for an upgrade to the underlying package, the obsolete
package and obsolete library package were "reinstalled", along with the upgraded
real package and library package!?

This is very common. Suppose you have package A installed, which requires B. Package B gets obsoleted by C. But A still requires B until someone (usually the maintainer of A) changes this to make A require C instead.

Ken