Re: setup graphical chooser : how to list orphaned packages ?

On 10/15/2017 12:24 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
On 10/14/2017 12:11 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 14/10/2017 17:31, cyg Simple wrote:

This is very common.  Suppose you have package A installed, which
requires B.  Package B gets obsoleted by C.  But A still requires B
until someone (usually the maintainer of A) changes this to make A
require C instead.

Maybe a column showing what installed packages are depending on B and a
column showing the dependencies for package A would be nice?  It would
help clear the confusion anyway.

the cygcheck-dep package can provide dependencies information,
I do not see the need for setup to do it

So the information is available just in a different place than where it
should be, the tool I'm using to do the download.  Having a separate
package to tell me the package dependencies isn't very friendly; I might
not have anything installed, certainly not cygcheck-dep and then I have
to learn and remember to use it as a side step of installation.

I think most users would be distracted by seeing the dependencies displayed and would have no need for this information. On the rare occasions when they are surprised that something got installed, they can use cygcheck-dep (or ask on the list) to find the reason.

Ken