Re: Which is it -pc- or -unknown-

On 10/21/2017 3:26 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 13:29:43, cyg Simple wrote:
>> Changing the default does improve the speed of configure because
>> configure no longer needs to execute GCC to figure out where the build
>> files are.  Yes the time saved is small but time is expensive so any
>> saving is a big deal, especially with such a small change.
>
> I would argue that the difference you are talking about is less than 5
> seconds.

5 sec * 2300 packages = 11,500 sec
11,500 sec is 3.19 hours

> Which in a build like FFmpeg or similar, is statistically 0.

1 package once in a while doesn't matter.

> So perhaps you have some data to show a non-trivial amount of time saved
> that
> would make this worth it?

3.19 hours * many builds is equal to days and weeks.

The 5 sec is your guess, probably less but ...  Minutia ends up being
quite a large sum when you repeat a process over and over.

The 2300 packages is a round of the number of packages Yaakov supports.

--
cyg Simple