Re: Various questions about 10.1.26-MariaDB on CYGWIN_NT-10.0 2.9.0(0.318/5/3) 2017-09-12 10:18 x86_64 Cygwin

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Could you be more specific as to what you think is missing[?]

I've mentioned the deficiencies on a couple occasions so far, but am
happy to do so again. The biggest problem is a total lack of search
(I've seen mention of Ctrl+R working in libedit, but is not present in
any mariadb release that I've seen). It also does not support more
intricate emacs editing, such as Esc-Y to cycle through older yanks,
Ctrl+Underscore to undo, Esc-dot arg references, not even Ctrl+W word
delete (it does support Esc-Bksp, but it doesn't join multiple
deletions together). Also, while its history file is a really
unreadable format, it is worse that it has a very nasty habit of
destroying all the saved readline history on first libedit use of a
readline history file (no conversion, no nothing).

Since I often have saved commands that I like to reuse in the history
and find them via Ctrl+R, having libedit totally trash all my mysql
history and then ignore all use of Ctrl+R made for a very annoying
update (I compiled a readline version of the client long ago, and had
to restore the history file from backup). It would have been better if
the libedit version had used a unique history file name, or if the
mariadb package scripts had done a backup (and conversion) of a
non-libedit history file.

..wayne..