Git status delay

I have an issue with git where it hangs for 10 to 20 seconds on several commands, including "git status". For me this is reproducible on a fresh install of Cygwin x64 in Windows 7.

I get the feeling I am doing something wrong on my end as "git status" is a very commonly used command, yet I see no mentions of this on the Cygwin mailing list.

Using gdb I can see git hang in the function validate_headref on an lstat call. validate_headref pretty much does what it says and validates the HEAD reference file. validate_headref is called multiple times for different candidate paths for the HEAD reference file, e.g. ".git/HEAD" etc. For some reason the path "//HEAD" is checked and this is causing a delay. Paths starting with "//" are treated in Cygwin as CIFS paths and the delay comes from the timeout when Windows tries to resolve the hostname "HEAD" to a server.

Subsequent executions of "git status" return immediately as I guess the resolution of "HEAD" as a hostname is cached.

I don't recall having this problem previously.

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Richard