This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Git status delay
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Richard H Lee <ricardohenrylee at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 20:02:39 +0300
- Subject: Re: Git status delay
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: smtp3p.mail.yandex.net; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Richard H Lee!
> I have an issue with git where it hangs for 10 to 20 seconds on several
> commands, including "git status". For me this is reproducible on a fresh
> install of Cygwin x64 in Windows 7.
> I get the feeling I am doing something wrong on my end as "git status"
> is a very commonly used command, yet I see no mentions of this on the
> Cygwin mailing list.
> Using gdb I can see git hang in the function validate_headref on an
> lstat call. validate_headref pretty much does what it says and validates
> the HEAD reference file. validate_headref is called multiple times for
> different candidate paths for the HEAD reference file, e.g. ".git/HEAD"
> etc. For some reason the path "//HEAD" is checked and this is causing a
> delay. Paths starting with "//" are treated in Cygwin as CIFS paths and
> the delay comes from the timeout when Windows tries to resolve the
> hostname "HEAD" to a server.
> Subsequent executions of "git status" return immediately as I guess the
> resolution of "HEAD" as a hostname is cached.
> I don't recall having this problem previously.
> Does anyone else experience this issue?
Is this (or a remote system) an AD member? If names resolution is a culprit,
try setting up cygserver, it may speed up name resolution.
With best regards,
Monday, November 20, 2017 20:01:40
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple