Vixie's cron and cron-config broken? /etc/passwd empty - Entry for the SYSTEM sid was not found in passwd. Unknown system name

Is the current version of cron and cron-config broken?  I tried
installing cron (4.1-65) with the latest version of cygwin in Windows
10 x64 Pro

When I run the following bash script to attempt to configure cron:

cron-config << EOF
yes
ntsec
no
no
no
adminpass
adminpass
yes
EOF

I get the following output:

Entry for the SYSTEM sid was not found in passwd.
Unknown system name

So, to work around this, I generated the /etc/passwd file since it is
no longer generated by default using:

mkpasswd > /etc/passwd

Then, if I try to execute cron-config again, I still get the same output:

Entry for the SYSTEM sid was not found in passwd.
Unknown system name

The cygserver service was installed and is running just fine.  Anyone
know how to get this to work?