RE: Files created in cygwin on fileshare no longer allow "delete" in NTFS

Hi Jürgen,

>From an NTFS standpoint, the containing directory allows "Modify" level access to the AD group the users are members of.  Effective permissions shows the AD group members can do the following to the containing folder by virtue of being members of this group:

- Traverse folder / execute file
- List Folder /read data
- Read attributes
- Read extended attributes
- Create files /write data
- Create folders / append data
- Write attributes
- Write extended attributes
- Read permissions

The following are NOT allowed of the AD group members:
- Full control
- Change Permissions
- Take ownwership

Any file placed in this directory through windows file management inherits the correct permissions.  Files created from within Cygwin, even if I just do a "touch filename" allow the AD group "Read, write & execute" access instead of "Modify" access.  In effective access, the following have check marks for users that are members of the AD group:

- Traverse folder / execute file
- List Folder /read data
- Read attributes
- Read extended attributes
- Create files /write data
- Create folders / append data
- Write attributes
- Write extended attributes
- Read permissions

Note that there are two differences:
1. Delete permission are now missing.
2. Inheritance has been disabled and all permissions that would have been inherited are on the file as explicit permissions, excepting "delete"

Thanks for the help so far!  Hopefully this answered your question.