Can't connect to ssh host with Emacs tramp

I've reviewed some of the Emacs tramp documentation, but I'm not sure
what the issue is.

If I'm using Cygwin, I don't need the putty components for this, do I?

When I attempt to open a text file in my homedir on a remote host,
which I can ssh to (passwordless) from the shell, it just times out.

The *Messages* buffer shows this (fqhn is the hostname):
Tramp: Opening connection for fqhn using scp...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh   -o ControlMaster=auto -o
ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none fqhn’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Timeout reached, see buffer ‘*tramp/scp fqhn*’ for details
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed
Tramp: Opening connection for fqhn using scp...failed