Re: Can't connect to ssh host with Emacs tramp

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 5:15 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
> On 1/4/2018 5:42 PM, David Karr wrote:
>>
>> I've reviewed some of the Emacs tramp documentation, but I'm not sure
>> what the issue is.
>>
>> If I'm using Cygwin, I don't need the putty components for this, do I?
>

> No, I make ssh connections through Emacs tramp without putty.
>
>> When I attempt to open a text file in my homedir on a remote host,
>> which I can ssh to (passwordless) from the shell, it just times out.
>>
>> The *Messages* buffer shows this (fqhn is the hostname):
>> ------------------
>> Tramp: Opening connection for fqhn using scp...
>> Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh   -o ControlMaster=auto -o
>> ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none fqhn’
>> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
>> Timeout reached, see buffer ‘*tramp/scp fqhn*’ for details
>> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed
>> Tramp: Opening connection for fqhn using scp...failed
>> -----------------------
>>
>> There doesn't appear to be a buffer named "*tramp/scp fqhn*".
>

> Sorry, I don't know enough about tramp to diagnose this.  Maybe it would
> help if you would say exactly what commands you gave.  And does the problem
> occur if you start with 'emacs -Q'?

What "commands" am I giving?  All I'm trying to do is open a single
file on the remote host.

I'm entering "//fqhn:/home/<myuid>/.bash_profile".

I get different behavior using "emacs -Q".  I don't get a timeout
error, but I also don't think it even attempted to connect to the
remote box.  The editor view just opens with the given name, but it's
empty (it shouldn't be).  The "*Messages*" buffer doesn't indicate
that it ever tried to make a connection.  It also says "Use M-x
make-directory RET RET to create the directory and its parents".

The other frustrating issue with my full Emacs configuration is that
when I enter the second forward slash, key response vastly, and I mean
vastly, slows down. I've gone through the tramp FAQ looking for
potential performance issues, but nothing has helped.