Re: ESC followed by UP-arrow cause bash shell to hang

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 17:49:08, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
I do a lot of command recall on the command line (xterm running on
Xorg server in Cygwin).  One of the most common things I do is type
the UP-arrow once, then ESC-backspace to get rid of the last word on
the line, so I can change it to something else.

Ctrl + W also works:

   $ bind -q unix-word-rubout
   unix-word-rubout can be invoked via "\C-w".

Occasionally I type these two keys out-of-order, ESC followed by UP-arrow.
This seems to lock up the bash shell for about 30 seconds before control
returns.

not for me - it prints "[A", as well as triggering a "bell", but "lock up" for
me is about 1 second - however note i am using "Cygwin.bat" and custom
terminal [1].

also note if you chose to start using "Ctrl + W" it would avoid the problem, as
a mistaken "Ctrl, Up" would be the same as simply "Up"

[1] http://github.com/svnpenn/bay/blob/master/config/bash/cygwin-readline.ti