Re: Ejecting a USB drive using Cygwin (sync)?

On 2018-01-25 14:42, Doug Henderson wrote:
> On 25 January 2018 at 13:37, Brian Inglis
> <Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
>> On 2018-01-25 02:58, David Allsopp wrote:
>>> What licence is the ellipsis you added to the copyright line released
>>> under? ;o)
>> Probably sourceware.org DWTFYW from link obfuscation ;^>
> If you compare the content of the referenced source file
> [ http://www.leapsecond.com/tools/eject.c ]
> and the snippet from the OP, it is clear that the ellipsis indicates that
> several lines from the original source were removed. It would have been
> clearer to have the ellipsis on a new line. There was no copyright claim in
> the original source.

In my OP on Tue and most subsequent responses on Wed, the ellipsis is clearly on
a separate line. Some later replies seem to have warped^Wwrapped it up on to the
previous line.

There is a date, name, and link, so when I make fair use of a quote I include
available credit, as publication establishes a copyright, regardless of any
claim. IANAL but neither has anyone posting about this topic claimed to be.
When that author TVB refers to his tools code, he sometimes uses the term free,
and I would consider that as a scientist, he expects his content would be
treated as public domain research tools and results, and credit be given.

As for removing blank lines, I mostly trim (and often rewrap) content, as some
lists require that.