Re: Another setup v2.889 regression? Again ...

On 2018-03-04 15:59, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:31:03, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> webmail is a generic term for a www mail client, a convenient service from
>> ISPs for mail access while travelling, or as a standalone service e.g. gmail.
>
> hey troll, get back under the bridge.

You appeared to be unfamiliar with a long time well known global ISP, and the
commonly used term webmail. Most posters on this group try to be helpful to
others in this international forum, where many posters native language is not
English, although that may not be obvious, use Cygwin as a tool do do their job,
and may be unfamiliar with common conventions.

Changing subjects is merely a question of style, and as with other preferences
like editors, languages, cultures, etc., and beliefs like religion and politics,
should be reserved for forums where that is on topic, and if disagreed with,
done so with due consideration, without being disagreeable.

The troll is the person who disrupts the on topic technical problem discussion
with minor off topic nitpicks about clarifying additions to subjects, and those
changes causing issues with *their* mail client, that is not apparent to anyone
using a mail client which handles threads using message ids and references.

>> My mail client shows everything properly threaded: some folks like clarifying
>> topics by modifying subjects; the additions are not substantial; the mail client
>> may be dropping the Re: when the subject is changed.
>
> on the contrary, your client is messed too. if you looks here [1], you will
> notice that your client is incorrectly inserting UTF-8 replacement characters,
> while my original message [3] has no such characters. perhaps your client cannot
> handle UTF-8?
>
> [1]
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/get-raw-msg?listname=cygwin&date=2018-03&msgid=cc44f375-9856-11dd-37cb-e29661285148%40SystematicSw.ab.ca
>
> [3]
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/get-raw-msg?listname=cygwin&date=2018-03&msgid=5a9c4cd4.712d9d0a.91fdb.111c%40mx.google.com

As I use a mail client, those characters are actually spaces in the raw
messages, however for rendering as HTML on Cygwin.com/sourceware.org web mailing
lists, for horizontal spacing the site uses standard Unicode \u00a0 ' ' no-break
space utf-8 \xc2 \xa0 character entity rendered as a space, but "raw text" does
not appear to be the original message content, but appears to convert the HTML
content to utf-8 regardless of the message encoding charset, resulting in
Unicode \ufffd '�' replacement character utf-8 \xef \xbf \xbd.

I have been using utf-8 character encodings for years to handle information from
my own and other cultures more transparently, replaced components which do not
support it with alternatives which do, and been annoyed at how long it has taken
to get only this far, pushing against those struggling to retain their small
proprietary markets rather than contest an open global market.