Re: GitForWindows vs. Cygwin

On 3/21/2018 4:49 AM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> Yes, they are.
>> No they're not.
> Tony explained well how they are related; Git for Windows is compiled in
> and packaged with MSYS2 which is forked from Cygwin.

Git for Windows AKA MSysGit is a native build of git using MSYS as the
shell support.  It is not related to Cygwin and the Cygwin git.  They
are different as the Cygwin git uses POSIX sematics throughout while the
native version doesn't do that.  Using Cygwin git alongside the native
git version will in the end bite you in the ass.  I know from experience
that this is the case.  I've screwed up more than one patch because of
using different git distributions of Cygwin versus native.

--
cyg Simple