Re: cleanup disk space (was: /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg)

On 2018-07-08 12:06, David Stacey wrote:
> On 08/07/18 18:45, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
>> I am really short of disk space and I am looking for files I can
>> delete without trouble.
>>
>> /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg has 24 MB. Does cygwin really need it or is
>> it just for debugging purposes, in which case I could delete it?
>
> The best way to do this is to launch Cygwin's 'setup' application and remove any
> packages that you don't need. Deleting any 'debuginfo' packages that you don't
> need will recover the most drive space, without affecting functionality too much.
>
>> I already have deleted /usr/share/doc/gtk3/ChangeLog with 14 MB...
>
> It's better to remove packages using Cygwin's 'setup' rather than arbitrarily
> deleting files...

More usable for browsing might be Windows GUI utilities like (for 10 read 4):

https://www.howtogeek.com/113012/10-best-free-tools-to-analyze-hard-drive-space-on-your-windows-pc/

which may highlight areas you forgot or did not know about, and generally
articles like:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/delete-windows-files-folders/

their links, and similar info on PC magazine web sites, which advise on deleting
Windows junk.

Also check installed Windows apps, Windows and user's profile's temp and
download directories, including browser caches, and your Cygwin mirror download
directory/-ies.

Don't delete anything if you don't understand what it's for or does, or you'll
need to find serious help on recovering Windows or Cygwin installs: you can
learn a lot that way, but it can be time consuming and stressful: BTDT ;^>

Besides -debug, -doc, and -devel packages you do not *need*, also look at
texlive, compilers, fonts, backgrounds, wallpapers, and icons packages; run

	$ du -hs /.../ | sort -k1hr

to highlight the hogs among /tmp, /var/* esp. cache, log, maybe spool and tmp,
/usr/share/* esp. doc, info, man and some others which may yield surprises;
avoid any paths that include virtual or Windows directories, like /proc i.e.
/proc/cygdrive/, maybe also /home if that links to Windows dirs, as that will
take a while and duplicate OS utilities.