Re: Cygwin fails to utilize Unicode replacement character

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 11:00:00, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Whereever you get DejaVu Sans Mono from.

Cygwin provides it via the "dejavu-fonts" package, or you can get it here:

http://dejavu-fonts.github.io

My W10 console only allows to specify a handful of fonts, Consolas, Courier
New, Lucida, MS Gothic, NSimSun, Raster Fonts, SimSun-ExtB.

You can add DejaVu or others like this:

http://superuser.com/questions/390933/add-font-cmd-window-choices/956818

Yeah, that's it then.  Whatever.  The fact that none of the default
fonts available for the console provide 0xfffd REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
doesn't really contribute to my willingness to add lots of code for
a border case.

We either keep 0xfffd now and the user gets the nodef glyph, or I revert
the patch and let the console print 0x2592 MEDIUM SHADE again.

Decision has to be made today.  I will release 2.11.1 tomorrow.

I prefer to you keep the patch that has been committed already. I was never a
fan of falling back to U+2592, but since we have the code for that now its your
call.

Cheers