Odd, is it not? mkdir 'e:\' cannot be undone by rmdir 'e:\' ...

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Wed Aug 28 14:16:00 GMT 2019

Dropping trailing slashes to be Linux-compatible is okay.  Dropping
trailing backslashes is risky, though, if it makes us forget that the
user was asking for a DOS path (even though DOS paths are not always
going to work as expected).

> Eric, any insight?  As usual our comments from way back when are lacking
> in terms of what exact problem this code is trying to fix/workaround.

If I recall, we had cases where 'mkdir a/' and 'mkdir a' did not behave
identically, even though POSIX says they should; compounded by the fact
that Windows treats trailing slash differently when performing native
mkdir on a drive than it does on a subdirectory of a drive.

It may be as simple as changing the isdirsep() from the identified
commit to instead check only for '/' (and ignore '\').

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226