Cygwin 3.1.2: Every call of exec(2) in the session starts to create a console window after some TTY outputs from programs compiled with "-mwindows"

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 07:17:00 GMT 2020

Am 20.01.2020 um 07:13 schrieb Koichi Murase:
> Hi, I updated Cygwin from 3.0.7 to 3.1.2 and have two problems.  This
> is the report for one of them.  (For the other one, read(2)
> occasionally fails on the new cygwin console for some settings, but
> I'm still trying to pin down the issue.)
>
> Cygwin Version:
>
>    Cygwin 3.1.2 x86_64 on Windows 10.  I also confirmed that the
>    problem is not fixed with the latest commit 85aff2830 of
>    newlib-cygwin.  Note that Cygwin 3.0.7 doesn't have this problem.
>

> Brief Description:
>
>    As in the subject, this problem is caused after some TTY outputs from
>    programs compiled with "-mwindows".  For example, after running the
>    command "mintty.exe --version" in a terminal, every "exec" called in
>    the processes in the same session starts to create a console window
>    which will be closed instantaneously.  As results, the display is
>    always flashing when some scripts are running, the shell scripts
>    becomes very slow, some of user inputs to the terminal go to the
>    created window and get lost, and CPU usage extremely increases.
>    This problem was not present in Cygwin 3.0.7.
>

> Repeat-By:
>
>    The following is one example to reproduce it:
>
>    1. Open Cygwin Terminal (mintty)
>    2. Run "mintty --version"
>    3. Run some shell scripts, e.g., "for i in {0..99}; do date; done | uniq -c"

I can not replicate with latest snapshot

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 LAPTOP-82F08ILC 3.1.2s(0.340/5/3) 2020-01-14 16:33 x86_64
Cygwin

$ mintty --version
mintty 3.1.0 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)

$ for i in {0..99}; do date; done | uniq -c
       6 Mon, Jan 20, 2020  8:15:49 AM
      18 Mon, Jan 20, 2020  8:15:50 AM
      19 Mon, Jan 20, 2020  8:15:51 AM
      16 Mon, Jan 20, 2020  8:15:52 AM