Mintty terminal crashes after changing the default home via nsswitch.conf and launch in a new profile in Windows 11

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Apr 5 18:44:55 GMT 2023

Am 04.04.2023 um 17:13 schrieb Yuta SUZUKI via Cygwin:
> Hi,
>
> I am recently setting up the computer room of my faculty
> and then encountered the following issue:
>
> Short description:
> Change the default home directory via
> /etc/nsswitch.conf
> and make a new Windows user.
> Login to the new user (and do not logout) and launch cygwin.
> After opening another application's window, e.g. Explorer,
> and try to switch the focus between the cygwin window and the other window.
> After once or twice of switch, switching is not smooth
> and both the cygwin and the other application seem freezing.
> (Still we can launch powershell to restart the machine.)
>
> Procedure to reproduce the issue:
> 1. Login as an administrator.
> 2. Install cygwin with the default configuration.
> 3. In C:\cygwin64\etc\nssswitch.conf, replace
> # db_home:  /home/%U
> db_home: /%H/cygwin
> and save the file.
> 4. Create a new Windows user, say "test", without Microsoft account.
> 5. Logout from the administrator user used so far.
> 6. Login as the user "test". (Do not logout in the remaining steps.)
> 7. Launch cygwin from the desktop icon.
> 8. Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck_before_crash.out (to reproduce the
> issue, this step is unnecessary.)
> 9. Open a window of the Explorer.
> 10. Click the cygwin window. This does not switch the focus to the focus...
> 11. Click the cygwin icon in the task bar. Probably it switches the window.
> 12. Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck_after_crash.out (to reproduce the
> issue, this step is unnecessary.)
> 13. Click the Explorer window. This does not switch the focus to the focus...
> 14. Click the "x" mark on the top right of the cygwin window. This
> does not close the window...
> 16. Close the cygwin from the task bar. Probably it closes the window.
>
> For me, the behaviour in the step 11, 14, 15 are rather troublesome.
> If the situation is worse, then I cannot even use the start menu to
> turn off the machine.
> In such a case, still I could launch PowerShell with keyboard and run
> Restart-Computer -Force
> to restart the machine.
>
> Note that if you logout and re-login after the step 6
> or if you are using Windows 10, then the issue is not reproduced.
>
> Environment:
> Edition Windows 11 Home
> Version 22H2
> Installed on ‎3/‎29/‎2023
> OS build 22621.1413
> Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0
>
> I attach the above two log files.
> (Some Japanese is included, sorry: some translations are
> "なし" = "not applicable"
> and
> "ローカル アカウント" = "local account")
>
> I would appreciate it very much if someone would solve this issue.
>
> Yours,
> Yuta Suzuki
First, the symptoms you describe are not a "crash". Is the terminal
actually still responsive (even if with delay)?
I cannot reproduce such an issue.
Please also cross-test with another terminal, e.g. rxvt, or xterm (after
running an X server).
Thomas