inkscape installed but does nothing --- solved to my satisfaction

J.F. Huesman qphysics@yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 12:14:14 GMT 2023

> I have uploaded a re-build of inkscape that seems to avoid the issue reported by> the OP, namely inkscape exiting without doing anything (with exit code 127).>> Could the OP please try installing this updated inkscape, shown as 0.92.3-2 (Test)> in the Cygwin setup app.  Being a test build, setup will not automatically update> from an older inkscape; you have to manually select the test version from the> "New" dropdown within setup.>> Kindly let us know if that fixes your original issue and/or has any new issues> when you have a chance.  Thanks for reporting the original issue.> Enjoy,>> ..mark
Mark,I installed the updated version and ran a few tests with it.
If I call inkscape -V from the prompt, I get an error:(inkscape:1451): Gtk-WARNING **: 07:07:30.361: cannot open display: :0

But if I run inscape on a file to convert the format:inkscape -f testfile.svg -e testfile.pngit executes without any error.

When I run my script, it starts with this message:** (inkscape:1422): WARNING **: 07:02:30.339: No cc:license metadata found, derived license URI from cc:License: http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/but the script runs and the png output is generated for all *.svg in the folder as expected, so I don't care about a warning message.
Thank you!John

"God used beautiful mathematics in creating the world." -Paul Dirac